www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 pm

From the May/June 2019 RIFLESHOOTER magazine article “Separated at Birth” (Craig Boddington):

“Veterans like Jack O’Connor instantly saw it (.264 Win Mag) wasn’t significantly superior to the .270 Win., which had propelled a 130-grain .277-inch bullet at 3,060 fps since 1925.”

“As judged by Jack O’Connor 50 years ago, perhaps the ultimate in damning with faint praise, I don’t believe the .264 can do anything the .270 Win can’t do. I don’t see it making a major comeback, but it’s still a useful hunting cartridge. I’ll use it now and again and reminisce about bygone days, when I believed everything I read and thought the .264 had magical power.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 pm

From the April-May 2019 FIELD & STREAM magazine column “Rifles” (David Petzal):

“A Big Game Rifle Should Weigh 8 Pounds With Scope

Both Jack O’Connor and Warren Page agreed on this, and they agreed on very little else, so if I got a rifle that weighed 8 1/2 pounds, I fretted and obsessed and lost weight and watched my hair fall out.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:31 pm

From the June 2019 GUNS magazine article “Best Elk Cartridge?” (Wayne van Zwoll):

“But doubts vanished as sportsmen of stature used the .270 — most notably Jack O’Connor. He liked it and said so.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu May 23, 2019 6:11 pm

From the May 2019 SHOOTING TIMES magazine article “Five Great .270 Cartridges” (Layne Simpson):

“The .270 was introduced in the Winchester Model 54, but it was not an instant success. In those days the few firearms writers working regularly were big fans of the .30-06, and little positive mention was made of the new upstart. Some figured the .270 was too small for use on anything but deer. Others opined that its high velocity would be too destructive on steaks and chops.
Then a college professor by the name of Jack O’Connor bought a Model 54 in .270 and later had a number of custom rifles built around it as well. O’Connor proved to the hunting world that the .270 was capable of cleanly taking game as large as moose and elk.
I became a big O’Connor fan during my youth, but I did not get around to hunting with the .270 until the 1960s. I eventually shot enough game with the cartridge to learn a thing or two about its performance. O’Connor was right about it being big enough medicine for elk, but even he admitted that the .30-06 is a better elk cartridge.
O’Connor was also right about powder and bullet weight. H4831 is still the powder to beat, although it has plenty of competition today. Everything considered, 130 grains has proven to be the ideal bullet weight.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon May 27, 2019 1:23 pm

The Spring/Summer 2019 issue of SPORTING CLASSICS magazine contains the Jack O’Connor article “New York was Far Away” about his 1956 Canadian Yukon hunt for White Ram (with pictures of the hunt).
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:33 pm

From the July/August SPORTS AFIELD magazine article “The Journey” (Scott Grange):

“Back in 1971, at age seventeen, I purchased my first rifle. It was a Browning Safari Grade bolt-action in .270 Winchester. My caliber of choice was an easy decision as my older brother, Steve, was a huge Jack O’Connor fan and I followed suit. Dad, being a .30-06 guy, all but disowned the two of us for choosing something other than the time tested family standard. But after reading virtually every article O’Connor wrote, I realized why Steve had so much respect for the man and the caliber. I lost my brother the next year and made myself a promise that I would live my life for both of us. I guess that’s when the urge to pursue wild sheep in wild places began.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:15 pm

From the October 2019 SHOOTING TIMES magazine article “Reloading the Terrific.270 Winchester” (Lane Pearce):

“When I was 20 years old (50 years ago), I received a .270 Win. Model 70 from my parents for Christmas. I’d long since learned who Santa Claus was, so Dad let me decide which deer rifle I wanted. I read OUTDOOR LIFE regularly and knew I couldn’t go wrong choosing Jack O’Connor’s favorite cartridge and rifle.

O’Connor purchased one of the first Model 54s.

O’Connor’s favorite load used Hogdon’s original surplus 4831 powder, and let me assure you, it’s too hot to reprint here because I’ve tried it with two different lots of old powder from the 1950s and have blown primers to prove it.

The .270 Win. may be nearly one hundred years old, but it can still deliver outstanding performance.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 pm

From the July/August 2019 SPORTS AFIELD magazine article “Guns and Loads for Mountain Game” (Craig Boddington):

“Any mention of choosing a rifle and load for sheep and goats is certain to draw this comment: “Well, Jack O’Connor shot all his rams with a .270 Winchester.” Uh, no he didn’t. The .270 was a favorite, but he also took rams with the 7x57, .30-06, a couple of belted magnums—and one with a .348 Winchester.
For sure the .270 was O’Connor’s pet, but there are many good choices. Today, although North American sheep are increasingly pricey, there is much more Eurasian mountain hunting than in O’Connor’s time, and I’ve done a lot of it. Another difference: O’Connor loved sheep and took relatively few goats.
I have not hunted sheep with a .348 Winchester. I assume O’Connor needed to try it. Also, his early rams were taken with aperture sights.
Most serious mountain hunters find a comfort zone, relying on a tried-and-true rifle that they know intimately. For O’Connor it was the .270 Winchester, in later years his “Number Two” Model 70 Featherweight stocked by Al Biesen, the pattern for Winchester’s O’Connor Commemorative.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm

From the July/August 2019 SPORTS AFIELD magazine article “The Medium 6.5s” (John Barsness):

“With scope, full magazine, and sling, it weighs 7 pounds, 13 ounces, slightly less than noted mountain hunter Jack O’Connor’s preferred maximum of eight pounds...”
Go Hogs

Previous

Return to Magazine Articles