www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:00 pm

The Autumn 2017 issue of SPORTING CLASSICS magazine contains a five page article "A Purpose Fulfilled - Jack O'Connor's Bear Rifle Goes On One Last Hunt" (Tony Caligiuri). The article tells the history of Jack's .338 Biesen M70 - its inception, hunts and transfer of ownership culminating with the rifle starring in a recent Alaskan bear hunt. Several pics of the rifle and hunt are included - but the real highlight is a great two page color pic of Jack relaxing on a hunt with his rifle.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:08 pm

From the Nov/Dec 2017 RIFLESHOOTER magazine “Mailroom” section:

“As a fan of anything Craig Boddington writes, I enjoyed his article “.270 Jack” in the July/August issue. I grew up reading anything I could find by Jack O’Connor, and on a couple of occasions wrote to him with comments or questions. I was pleased that he always wrote back with a signed letter (which are now framed on the wall in my reloading room).
Back then I had developed an interest in the new 7mm Rem. Mag. from a ballistic standpoint. It was not very practical for the deer woods of Wisconsin where I lived at the time, but O’Connor had inspired visions of hunting in more open spaces. So I wrote to him to get his input on it.
In his letter dated February 5, 1969, he replied: “There’s nothing wrong with a 7mm Remington Magnum as an all-around cartridge. For that matter, there is nothing wrong with a .300 Weatherby. However, I would consider them a bit much for most North American game. I think the .30-06 and the .270 do just as well.”
Jeff Harmeling
Grand Junction, CO”
Go Hogs

Postby Arctosman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:58 am

In the November 2017 issue of Petersen's Hunting magazine, Craig Boddington penned a two page feature article, "Stone Sheep". Boddington's article crams a lot of basic stone sheep information into his overview of this special North American game animal. A photograph of Jack O'Connor displaying "...a great Stone ram, taken in the early 1970's when he was in his early 70's..." accompanies this informative article.

Shooting and Shot Placement covered in this writing states: "...Flat-shooting cartridges make sense, but extreme power isn't a requirement. Fast .25's like the .25-06 are good minimal choices, the faster 6.5's are good, and Jack O'Connor's .270 is probably just about perfect."

The author's text explains that Stone sheep were named after Andrew J. Stone, who discovered these sheep in 1897 and therefore these sheep are properly referred to as Stone's sheep.
Attachments
Jo-and-stone-sheep-1971BR.jpg
A fine Stone's ram
Jo-and-stone-sheep-1971BR.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 899 times
Blued steel & walnut,
Arctosman
Arctosman

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 pm

From the February 2018 GUNS magazine article “Rifle Stock Materials Have Come a Long Way” (John Barsness):

“For the past couple of years Bradford O’Connor, son of the famous gun writer Jack O’Connor, has traveled to Montana to do some prairie dog shooting with me. Like his father, Brad’s a fan of nicely blued rifles fitted with walnut stocks, preferably custom-made, though Brad also shoots factory walnut, and at least one of his rifles has a laminated stock (the Ruger 77 in .17 Hornet he bought specifically for the 2017 shoot).”

The article also features two great photos of Brad at the sight-in bench.
Go Hogs

Postby Arctosman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Wow, I got my copy of Guns Magazine yesterday and I read the John Barness's article. The pictures and mention of Brad O'Connor in the article were great.

It was just an hour ago, I shot an email off of Brad letting him know that I always enjoy John's articles, especially when the articles includes text and snappy pictures of Brad!
Seems, we both subscribe to Guns Magazine.
Blued steel & walnut,
Arctosman
Arctosman

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 pm

From the January 2018 GUN WORLD magazine article “The .257 Roberts” (James E. House):

“How did the .257 Roberts fare in days gone by? For many years, the acknowledged champion of gun writers was Jack O’Connor, who had this to say about the .257: “Of all the cartridges, both standard and wildcat, that have been cooked up in the last 30 years, there are none that can play more and sweeter tunes than the .257” (Sportsman’s Arms and Ammunition Manual, Popular Science Books, 1952, p. 23.).”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm

The Jan/Feb 2018 SPORTING CLASSICS magazine contains an article “It Might Be The Most Embarrassing Mistake In The History Of Gunmaking” (Dwight Van Brunt) about a custom .22-250 that Al Biesen built for Jack O’Connor and mistakenly stamped “Built for Jack O’Conner” on the barrel. Full color pictures of the rifle are included as well as some of Jack’s comments about it in Outdoor Life. The rifle is presently for sale.
Go Hogs

Postby Arctosman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:14 pm

The Jan/Feb 2018 SPORTING CLASSICS magazine contains an article “It Might Be The Most Embarrassing Mistake In The History Of Gunmaking” is an understatement! Here are a couple of photos of Jack's shortened Springfield .22-250 rifle where Al Biesen misspelled O'Connor...
Attachments
IMG_5184 reduced.jpg
IMG_5184 reduced.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 820 times
IMG_5153reduced.jpg
IMG_5153reduced.jpg (26.93 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Blued steel & walnut,
Arctosman
Arctosman

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

From the Dec17-Jan18 OUTDOOR LIFE magazine cover article “Jim Shockey Goes Home” (Alex Robinson):

“Shockey grew up reading Jack O’Connor, and he idolized those high-adventure tales that made hunting feel larger than life.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 pm

From the Dec 2017 - Jan 2018 HUNTING magazine article “The Christmas Rifle” (Jim Zumbo):

“Like many hunters of that era, I was a Jack O’Connor fan. His signature gun was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270. That was the gun I wanted and I hoped one was in stock.”
Go Hogs

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine Articles