www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:53 pm

From Craig Boddington in the Nov/Dec 2014 Rifle Shooter magazine:
"Although I fought it for many years, I have to admit Professor O'Connor was right all along. As a young hunter and gun writer, he started with the .270 when it was new in 1925, and he finished with it 52 years later. It's fast enough, flat enough and powerful enough for any North American deer, sheep or goats - just like Jack O'Connor told us.
Go Hogs

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:13 pm

From the March/April 2015 Rifle Shooter magazine (Craig Boddington):

"A young Jack O'Connor latched on to the brand new .270 Win in 1925. O'Connor actually used many cartridges during his long career, but the .270 remained his favorite. He was very good for the cartridge, but the cartridge was also very good to him, and together they made a lot of music."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:43 pm

From the March 2015 Gun World magazine (James E. House):

"The late Jack O'Connor (January 22, 1902-January 20, 1978) was Outdoor Life magazine's shooting editor for over three decades. That was during my developing years in the shooting sports and O'Connor's writing educated me and many others.
Many of his articles were collected and published in a book known as the Sportsman's Arms and Ammunition Manual (Popular Science Books 1952). It was the first gun book I bought, and as I recall I was a sophomore in high school at the time. I read it so much that I wore it out and had to make new covers from file holders.
The article on page 23 of the O'Connor book begins with the statement, "Of all the cartridges, both standard and wildcat, that have been cooked up in the last thirty years there is none that can play more and sweeter tunes than the .257."
Those words were written over a half century ago, but in retrospect it seems strange that a cartridge praised so highly by the legendary gun scribe should evade me for so many years."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:40 pm

From the March 2015 NRA American Hunter magazine article on Roy Weatherby (Wayne van Zwoll):

"Roy hobnobbed with Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith, Jimmy Doolittle and Joe Foss, Roy Rogers and John Wayne."

"In 1947 he hosted a few carefully selected hunters in British Columbia. The group included Jack O'Connor, who subsequently wrote favorably of the .300 Weatherby Magnum."
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 pm

From the June 2015 GUNS magazine (John Taffin):

"In my early years such writers as Jack O'Connor really stimulated my dreams. Every month he was hunting in a different exotic locale such as Alaska, Canada, India, and Africa. I collected pop bottles and old newspapers to come up with the 25 cents every month to pick up the current copy of his magazine."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 pm

From the May/June 2015 Sports Afield magazine (Craig Boddington):

"I took a lot of game with that .264 Winchester Magnum. Realistically, as Jack O'Connor correctly wrote in those days, I'd have been just as well off with a .270, but I believed in my .264, and it worked for me."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Tue May 05, 2015 10:26 pm

From the May 2015 American Hunter magazine (Dwight Van Brunt):

"It's mostly the fault of Jack O'Connor that I love fine rifles and costly sheep hunts. He also finished what Russell Annabel started when it came to grizzly bears and moose, and along the way made me realize that there were things in the Southwest and Mexico worth hunting. My interest in ballistics and appreciation of trophy quality, that's all from Jack. His 'Sheep and Sheep Hunting' is certainly among the finest books ever penned in celebration of mountain game."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm

From the June 2015 Guns&Ammo magazine (Craig Boddington):

"Maybe, as in so many things, Jack O'Connor was right all along. He always suggested a simple zero of " a couple inches high at 100 yards" so as to be dead-on at 200 yards or perhaps a bit farther.
Today I'm back in Professor O'Connor's class."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 pm

From the July 2015 Shooting Times (Joseph Benedikt):

"The great hunting writers of yesteryear - Roosevelt, Hemingway, Ruark, O'Connor, and the like---were known for cherishing a very special hunting firearm. Hemingway had his Westley Richards side-by-side and Roosevelt his "Big Medicine" Winchester 1895 in .405. Perhaps the most famous of them all is Jack O'Connor's "No.2" Winchester Model 70."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 pm

From the July/August 2015 Rifle Shooter magazine (Craig Boddington):

"Even Jack O'Connor, already the most popular and influential gun writer who ever lived, couldn't stem the tide. His was like a small voice in the wilderness when, in 1958, he opined that the hot, new .264 Win Mag. couldn't do anything his beloved .270 could not do; a few years later he said the same thing about the 7mm Rem. Mag. Of course, O'Connor was exactly right."
Go Hogs

Next

Return to Magazine Articles