www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Sat May 26, 2018 5:40 pm

From the June/July 2018 FIELD & STREAM magazine section “Cheers & Jeers” letters (Mike Smith, Grangeville, ID):

“I’m now 74 and was raised on Ted Trueblood and Jack O’Connor.
My family didn’t have a lot of money, but we did have magazines and books, and I learned the joy of reading through them.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:38 pm

From the July/August 2018 RIFLESHOOTER magazine article “Reset To Zero” (Craig Boddington):

“Jack O’Connor, who hunted before there were laser rangefinders or computer ballistic tables, advised hunters to sight in between two and 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and be done with it.
Depending on bullet speed and BC, with reasonably flat shooting cartridges the O’Connor “formula” will put you dead-on between about 200 and 250 yards. Somewhere around 300 yards you’ll have to raise your hold, but you won’t need to worry about holding low in the middle ground.
For most shooting, that’s fine. With a flat-shooting non-magnum cartridge like the .270 Win., I get as close to 2.5 inches high at 100 yards as I can. With the .30-06 it depends on the bullet weight and the purpose, but I never sight in higher than O’Connor suggested.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm

From the August 2018 Petersen’s HUNTING magazine column “Guns & Loads” (Joseph Benedikt):

“Jack O’Connor maintained that 7.5 pounds (with scope) was just right for a mountain rifle, and he’s still not wrong.”
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

From the October 2018 SHOOTING TIMES magazine column “Shooter’s Showcase” (Terry Wieland):

“Jack O’Connor, who made his living from writing about big-game hunting, would, every so often, include a throwaway line like, “It’s all for fun and games anyway...” I doubt he really meant it. In fact, I’m sure he didn’t.

Reading Ruark or O’Connor, the best parts are rarely the actual kill, regardless of how big the trophy. It’s always what went before, what came after, and how much fun it all was - even if, perhaps, it did not seem so at the time.”
Go Hogs

Previous

Return to Magazine Articles