www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 pm

The July/August 2017 RIFLESHOOTER magazine contains a two page article ".270 Jack" by Craig Boddington describing JO'C's famous use and writing about the .270 as well as other calibers he owned and hunted with.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm

From the July/August 2017 SPORTS AFIELD magazine article "Something Special" (John Barsness):

"A good example would be my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.270 acquired during a fundraising auction at the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center in Lewiston, Idaho. The 75th anniversary of the introduction of the Model 70 was celebrated by special runs of two grades of O'Connor Tribute rifles. Mine, of course, is the lesser grade (otherwise I couldn't have afforded the auction) but it's still a very nice looking rifle.
After I got back to Montana, it wasn't long before the rifle made a trip to the range. Its very first group at 100 yards measured 0.40 inch. Not every group has been that small, of course, but the rifle shoots so accurately it's moved all my other .270s down the road, and often gets used to test-fire new components.
I also hunt with this rifle, something that's shocked a few people. One guy insisted, "you don't hunt with a rifle like that," a statement I suspect would offend Jack O'Connor.
In fact, part of the reason I kept bidding on the rifle was hearing from several other Tribute owners about how well their rifles shot."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:31 pm

From the August 2017 SHOOTING TIMES magazine article "A Survivor's Story" (Allan Jones):

"Thanks to superb performance and Jack O'Connor, the .270 Win. remains a great choice for North American sportsmen.
TOP NOTCH PERFORMANCE and a FAMOUS ADVOCATE KEEP IT ALIVE
Perhaps the best overview of the early acceptance problems the .270 Win. faced resides in one of my favorite Jack O'Connor books, The Hunting Rifle (1970). In chapter 6 he wrote, "When the .270 appeared back in 1925, it didn't set the world afire...." He went on to ruminate on some of the issues it faced, including the transition of American hunters from lever-action to bolt-action rifles. O'Connor researched old gun publications of the time for The Hunting Rifle book and found a pattern of disdain and lack of interest. One well known writer condemned the .270 without ever firing it. Another prolific cartridge reviewer simply never wrote about it. A popular shooting magazine that had the highest U.S. circulation did not publish anything about the .270 Win. until three years after its introduction.
In spite of a slow start, the .270 Win. not only survived but also became one of our most popular sporting cartridges. Top notch performance made it work, but the .270 had another advantage that no other cartridge enjoyed: a constant advocate who kept the cartridge in the consumers' minds for almost a half-century. When someone thought about buying a new rifle, the .270 Win. had Jack O'Connor behind it.
O'Connor used the .270 almost from its inception, but he did not start writing hunting and shooting articles until the mid-1930s. I see his praise not so much as evangelical zeal but rather straight facts based on an impeccable database of experience. It didn't hurt that his position with Outdoor Life and his body of work in books gave him the "bully pulpit" to reach the great mass of sportsmen."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

From the August 2017 GUNS&AMMO magazine article "The Lefty & Old Betsy" (about Warren Page):

"Page's opposite number at Outdoor Life was Jack O'Connor. Unlike the fierce rivalry between O'Connor and Guns&Ammo's Elmer Keith, Page and O'Connor were friendly competitors with large followings. O'Connor championed the .270, while Page was known as a 7mm advocate.
In 1958, Page became the third winner of the Weatherby Big Game Trophy, following Herb Klein and Jack O'Connor. Page did not do as much mountain hunting as O'Connor, but he had considerably more international experience. Page inspired millions of readers, every bit as much as O'Connor. Page was 67 when he died in January 1977."
Go Hogs

Previous

Return to Magazine Articles