www.jack-oconnor.org

Talk about the great legacy that is Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor mentions

Re: Jack O'Connor mentions

Postby Go Hogs » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:44 pm

From the July/August 2016 Sports Afield article "Eighty Years of the Model 70" (John Barsness):

"But in 2012 USRAC announced the Jack O'Connor Commemorative Model 70 chambered in, of course, .270 Winchester, which proved light enough to hunt with, thanks to the slim featherweight barrel. The first 3-shot, 100 yard group from my Commemorative, shot with Norma factory ammunition, measured 0.40 inch."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:06 pm

From the September 2016 HUNTING magazine article "America's Top 10 Big Game Cartridges" (Joseph Von Benedikt):

"Although there are younger, more modern cartridges that outpace the classic .270 Winchesterr at extreme ranges, I've long said that Jack O'Connor's favorite is still one of the very best deer cartridges.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:56 pm

From the March/April 1993 SPORTING CLASSICS magazine (Terry Wieland):

"What I should have done is follow a piece of advice I first read in a Jack O'Connor article years ago: when you are unsure of the range, but it seems a long way away, always have your crosshairs somewhere on the body for the first shot. If the animal is closer than he seems, you'll hit him. If he really is far away, and the bullet goes low, it is easier to spot than if you shoot over him."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:48 pm

From the November 2016 SHOOTING TIMES article "The 7x57mm Mauser" (Allan Jones):

Jack O'Connor spoke highly of it, and his wife, Eleanor, used a custom 7mm Mauser on many of their hunts.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:18 pm

From the November/December RIFLE SHOOTER magazine article "New Bullet Rules" (Craig Boddinton):

"The long war of words between Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith was at its height in my youth. Both bylines appeared in the first issue of Peterson's Hunting (November 1973), but never again--no single magazine could harbor both personalities. The lines were clear: Jack O'Connor believed the .270 Win. was adequate for almost all North American big game (and a lot more beyond our borders).
O'Connor was correct that his .270 was darn near perfect for the deer/sheep/goat class of game, and the older I get, the more I realize just how correct he really was. He had no qualms about using his .270 for elk, and over the years, he took several moose and grizzlies with his .270. On the other hand, he wasn't loyal to a fault with the .270. When he hunted Alaskan brown bear, he used a .375 H&H, and he used both a .416 Rigby and a wildcat .450 Watts (similar to today's.458 Lott) for Africa's big stuff.
Privately, and less remembered, O'Connor was also a major .30-06 fan. On his earlier northern hunts, he took both a .270 and a .30-06. It didn't always work out, but the former was intended for sheep and the latter for moose and grizzly. In personal letters he conceded that the .30-06 was actually more versatile than his beloved .270.
Elmer Keith's hatred of O'Connor was genuine, far more than vice versa.
As mentioned, during his long career, O'Connor took several grizzlies with his .270. I haven't had the opportunity but I understand it. He was sheep hunting with his .270, opportunities came to take bears, and he took them."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 pm

From the May 2009 SPORTING SHOOTER:

As a youngster I was an avid reader of Jack O'Connor's articles in Outdoor Life. O'Connor spent most of his writing career working to popularize the .270 Winchester. In his opinion it was the best all around cartridge ever designed for all North American big game and African plains game. The dogmatic and rather acerbic Arizona professor of English took little notice of the .270 Weatherby when it appeared 20 years later, nor do I think he would have foresaken his first love for the new 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM).
Being that rarest of beings, a down to earth, scrupulously honest reporter where guns and ammo were concerned, Jack was a hard man to impress; he never was able to muster much enthusiasm for every new cartridge that came along or see pie in the sky.
O'Connor praised the .270 Winchester lavishly for 50 years, and it was his writings that influenced me to buy as my first bolt-action center fire rifle, a Brno ZG47 in .270 Winchester nearly 60 years ago.
When Jack O'Connor died in 1978, a good many shooters predicted that the .270's popularity would fade, but 30 years later, the .270 In is still among the first three on the list of rifle die sales.
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:44 pm

From the November/December 2016 SPORTS AFIELD magazine article "The Light Sevens" (Craig Boddington):

"The .280 is the special pet of the now retired Jim Carmichael, Jack O'Connor's long running successor as Shooting Editor at Outdoor Life."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Sporting Classics Jan/Feb 2017 reprints Jack's article on one of his quail hunting trips - "Gambling for Gambel's".
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm

From the Jan/Feb 2017 SPORTING CLASSICS magazine:

"O'Connor's 416 Rigby Magnum is on the market.

Based on a Brevex Magnum Mauser action with metal by Tom Burgess and stock by Bob Johnson, Jack O'Connor used this magnificent rifle to take his only elephant, finest lion and last Cape buffalo. Supported by incredible letters, photographs and copies of articles, it stands among the finest historic hunting arms ever offered.
Supporting items include vintage Rigby ammunition and Jack's own handloads created from .378 Weatherby Magnum cases. Overall condition is at least 95 percent. Complete details are available through Sportsman's Legacy. There is no better way to spend $65,000.
Contact Dwight Van Brunt at (406) 212-0344."
Go Hogs

Postby Go Hogs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

From the March/April 2017 SPORTS AFIELD magazine article "Killing Power (John Barsness):

"Weatherby was certain ultra-velocity would work on any kind of game, and after a successful 1947 hunt in British Columbia with several other people (including Jack O'Connor who wrote it up with favorable mentions of his .300 Weatherby) he booked an African safari to prove the worth of Weatherby cartridges on larger game."
Go Hogs

Previous

Return to Magazine Articles